This page contains links and short descriptions of tools that may be useful in maintaining your home computer, business computer or web site. Some are targeted for the computer user, while others are administrative tools. None of these is developed by us nor do we have any financial interest in them. They are just ones that we have found useful. Many of these sites with "free" services would also like to sell you something. Resist, unless it is a product or service that you REALLY need.
Links to Free Web-based Tools:
Links to Free Down-loadable PC Software:
- Adobe's Acrobat Reader for PDF files.
- Bluefive's PixResize is a program to resize photographs for the web.
- Cygwin's GNU Unix environment for Window allows me to use Unix tools and scripting in a Windows environment.
- Filezilla is an Open Source FTP client for Windows.
- Firefox - The other web browser. For Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- Google Desktop is a search engine for your PC. Locates files by contents, just like searching on the web. This tool has saved me many times when I have deleted a file, or even content on this web site and Google Desktop has retained it in its cache. However Google Desktop places it very large cache files in your Documents and Settings folder, making it part of your normal backup. In my case this made the backup larger than a DVD and I had to make a choice - Google Desktop or a complicated backup process.
- iespell is a spelling checker add-in for Internet Explorer
- Microsoft's free Office Converters & Viewers. A "must have" if you don't own MS Office, but still need to read an occasional Office file.
- Microsoft's Visual Studio Express series of software development tools for the web. These tools are free limited editions of MS's full Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server products. They are very useful for small development tasks and don't have the big price of the full version.
- OpenOffice's suite of tools to compete with Microsoft's Office. if you don't own Office these are a must have. If you do they still may be useful.
- Spybot's Search & Destroy spyware tool for detecting, removing and immunizing your PC has been around for many years and has been my choice for a long time.
- Sun's Java JRE (runtime environment). Required if you wish to view Java
- WinMerge is a graphical differencing and merging tool for text files such as HTML.
Links to the Software used to run our Web Site